John Brassard is proud of his record of hard work and accomplishments as Barrie-Innisfil Member of Parliament for the past six years.
John was first elected to Canada’s Parliament in 2015 to represent the newly created Barrie-Innisfil riding and was re-elected strongly by Barrie-Innisfil voters in 2019.
His appointments since 2015 as MP include:
- Critic for Urban Affairs – 2015
- Opposition Critic for Veterans’ Affairs – 2016
- Conservative Leadership Team/Deputy Opposition Whip – 2017
- Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs – 2020
Along with his political experience including nine years on Barrie City Council, John’s background as co-owner of a sports apparel marketing company with his father has helped him to be a strong advocate for local businesses and the people they employ. Those important skills and experience were more important than ever during the pandemic, as John worked collaboratively with the business community to find solutions to new and difficult challenges.
Prior to entering politics, John was a firefighter for over 30 years and served as an Executive Member of the Markham Professional Firefighters’ Association, including a three-year term as President.
Constituency work, connecting with residents, supporting community events and organizations and consistently bringing Barrie-Innisfil’s voice to Parliament are top priorities for John. Since March 2020, he:
- Spoke in the House of Commons 194 times on topics including emergency relief for individuals and small businesses, advocating for the airline industry and the travel and tourism sector, veterans’ issues, the need for rapid COVID-19 testing and improved federal pandemic supports.
- Wrote 40 letters to 10 Federal Ministers, requesting the reinstatement of the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan, advocating for Barrie-Innisfil residents stranded abroad at the beginning of the pandemic, additional support for seniors and Canadian veterans, maternity leave benefits, emergency financial assistance for airlines, the motorcoach and tour industry.
- Participated in more than 500 virtual meetings with constituents, community groups, businesses and all levels of government.
- Responded to over 13,000 phone calls and emails.
Just like thousands of families each year, John and Liane chose to raise their family in Barrie-Innisfil because it’s a vibrant and growing community with access to tremendous outdoor activities, a bustling business community and services. He will continue listening to you, working hard for your family, supporting local businesses and bringing your concerns and ideas to Ottawa.
John works hard for the people he represents and he is looking forward to continuing his role as Barrie-Innisfil’s Member of Parliament and strong voice in our Nation’s Capital.
Suite 204-B, 480 Huronia Rd.